Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Flights of Fancy, Wonders of Whimsy



Think of when you were young, imagining surreal creatures and day dreaming about your larger than life ideas. When I was a child I was constantly thinking of ideas and acting on them, making by hand a million small projects without looking up directions. On my own I learned how to make bound books, clothing, jewelry, puppets and even went through a phase where I would sit in my backyard and make small "fairy" towns and villages out of sticks, flowers, etc.

I feel when we grow up we can look that whimsy and try instead to be very strategic and methodical, so I was happy to see this project on Kickstarter about The Museum Proper, a contemporary performance troupe working to create a 12-foot tall puppet. Obviously, to make their puppets involves a lot of sketching and preliminary design. Their Flickr account of their sketches is inspiring. Also, take a look at a video of a demonstration of their prototype here.

No comments:

Post a Comment